Tuesday 8 March 2011

Pancake Day

Well, here's a little treat... I was expecting to be blogging about a simple main course this evening but instead I am tossing up a topical challenge.

It's Shrove Tuesday and if you are anything like me that means it's PANCAKE DAY. Now this occasion crops up every year so you would think that we would all know how to make pancakes? Well I don't, or at least I didn't.

As always there is a cheat to this and buying a ready mix would be easy, just add water give it a shake and you're away, but frankly that would be flipping wrong because that's just not learning to cook. So I'm taking my second lesson and learning how to make pancakes - from scratch.

Now I was expecting to get battered during this lesson... I can't be doing with eggs! Once I'd measured my flour and milk, eggs were required (I thought Mum was yolking). Now I understand that raw meat comes from an animal and all that business but an egg comes from a chicken's backside... and the inside of an egg, well we won't even crack into that... first lesson of the day, don't think to much about the origin of eggs.

Anyway I get over my phobia and crack the egg into the mix.

Here I make mistake number one and decide to whisk the mixture using a fork, which proved to be eggstremely difficult. After a few minutes I was bush whacked so out came the electric whisk, I'm a wimp and technology wins. Lesson two, if it's powered by electricity use it!

Other than that everything about making the mix went swimmingly and my good form continued into the cooking process, until it came to flipping the pancake. Naturally Mum demonstrated the flippin procedure and I followed suit, however my first pancake turned into what can only be described as 'battered'. It was immediately discarded and I started again.

After that my pancakes were raved about and I'm sure certain tasters will leave comments (please leave comments).

I am now unofficially the best tosser in Shropshire.

Toppings at the bottom (don't ask)!

P.S Check out my how to make pancakes video on the recipes page.

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't care less about your pancakes! So let me focus on the AMAZING word play in this post! I'm a huge fan. Finally, we've found something you're good at Flour! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm awful at pancakes... usually result to those pancake in a bottle rubbish and regret it straight away because they look (and taste) like rubber!

    Will definitely be testing this out! x

    ReplyDelete