Sunday 20 March 2011

Crumble

No, don't worry I'm not beaten yet... but it is the turn of an easy dessert.

Traditionally, Mum isn't a big dessert person (by that I mean a fan, not a person running round as a dessert - although that would be funny... to have a strudel for a Mum), so usually I would have to make do with a Muller yogurt or something similar. Saying that, it doesn't mean she doesn't know how to make them.

Today I decided which dessert I would like to know how to make, one which seems relatively easy and is coincidentally a personal favorite - Apple Crumble.

For those of you who have been following since day one or have read the previous posts, you may have realised I have a preparation problem when it comes to cooking - peeling in particular, but today I'm off on the right foot.

Peeling the apples wasn't a problem, in fact I'm getting that good with a peeler in hand I'm starting to see how long I can make a continuous peeling. I must have got one to at least 12cm of peel. So today Mum had nothing to say that would hurt my peelings.


A tool every kitchen needs
But it's no use getting excited... Mum pipped me to it and my first criticism came when I was taking the life (core) out of the apple. I'd quartered each apple and I was slicing the core out of each quarter... 'no, not like that', I was wasting to much of the 'good stuff'. So Mum told me to slice in halfway from each side, that way I would have less waste (probably not explaining this strategy too well?). Anyway, the result appeared to be the same, the core came out.

Once I'd diced the apples they sweated on a low heat, with a bit of sugar, until they turned slightly mushy. I have to admit I was tempted to wash them when Mum said they cooked by sweating - bit like a sauna really - not very appletising.

While the apples were cooking themselves we turned our attention to the crumble. Now, I quite enjoy making crumbles... it's not very often you're allowed to play with your food. So once I'd measure out the flour, sugar and marge (there was a reason why you use margarine not butter but I forget) I began turning it all into a crumble. Here I learn lesson number two (sorry, lesson number one was how to get to the core of an apple problem) don't let the mix touch your palms... I have no idea why but what Mum says goes.

Once the crumble looked like... well crumbs and the apples were happily sweaty it was a case of chucking them in a bowl and into the oven, obviously apple under crumble.


Here's a bonus... I made custard. When I asked Mum what quantities to use she replied 'two parts sand to one part cement'. Now were not building a house or anything, of course she meant two spoons of sugar and one of custard powder... then add your milk (which would be water if you are looking for a cement mix) and you're away.

It's all relatively simple, although I did attempt to make more custard shortly after and in all honesty I crumbled under the pressure, it was like gunge, might have to re-address this bugger.

But, this cooking malarkey isn't that difficult... saying that it's time to step things up a gear.

Image courtesy of 'food network store'

5 comments:

  1. Glad to see you haven't crumbled under the pressure yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of the apple crumble, I make it all the time. But so many people have different versions of this dish, I always try other ways. I attempted my first rhubarb crumble recently and it was a disaster. Even though I made it as if I was using apples. Don't know what happened there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crumble and custard, you can't beat it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks yummy, well done on your progress, stunning language. you made me laugh so much, SO talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always put a bit of cinnammon in my crumbles! Just gives it a nice little kick! Word from the wise!

    ReplyDelete